Assessor's Office Employees
- Lori McMeekin, Deputy Assessor, Real Estate
- Courtney Ford, Deputy Assessor, Real Estate
- Bobbi Turner, Deputy Assessor, Business / Personal Property
- Travis Salmons, Deputy Assessor, Field Data Collector
Assessor's Office Information
Monday - Friday 8:30AM - 4:30PM
Summers County Courthouse
120 Ballengee Street
Hinton, WV 25951
(304) 466-7128 fax
Homestead Exemption for owner occupied Class II Property
An Exemption from real estate taxes shall be allowed for the first $20,000 of assessed value. All new applicants must file between July 1st and December 1st of each year. Applicant’s eligibility will be approved upon meeting the following requirements:
- The applicant must be 65 years of age or older by July 1st of the relevant tax year.
- To qualify for Exemption based on disability, applicant must have a doctor’s signature to state applicant is permanently and totally disabled.
- Applicant must be an owner and occupant of the property.
- Applicant must have been a resident of West Virginia for two consecutive years preceding the start (July 1st ) of the relevant tax year.
- Applicants must sign oath stating that they do not receive a similar exemption in another state or county.
- Once an application has been made for Homestead, the exemption will automatically roll over each and every year, provided the home remains their residence.
- If an applicant owns and occupies a mobile home, he or she may qualify for the Exemption on the mobile home even if it is personal property (someone else owns the land on which it sits).
- The Constitution of West Virginia, Article 10, Section 1B, Subsection C states that only one exemption shall be allowed per married couple, regardless of the number of owners residing therein, or regardless of number of residences owned.