Election and other information
County Clerk Employees
- Mary Beth Merritt, County Clerk
- Donald R. Basham, Jr., Fiduciary Supervisor
- Lynn Reed, Deputy Clerk
- Ann Slatton, Deputy Clerk
- Sarah Wheby, Deputy Clerk
- Kimberly Foster, Deputy Clerk
- Susan Rutherford, Deputy Clerk
County Clerk Information
Monday - Friday 8:30AM - 4:30PM
County Clerk’s Office
120 Ballengee Street, Suite 106
Hinton, WV 25951
(304) 466-7146 fax
Local Election Information
What is a Poll Worker and How do I become One?
The Summers County Republican and Democratic Executive Committees are looking for individuals who can spare a day, help their community, and get paid ($150) for working on Election Day as a Poll Worker. Be one of the nearly 100 individuals hired to staff the 14 precincts on Election Days.
Why am I needed?
- Without Poll workers, elections cannot be held.
- Poll workers help to make sure that an election is fair and impartial according to the election laws of the State of West Virginia.
Am I Eligible?
Yes if you are..
- A registered voter in Summers County.
- Enjoy working with people.
- Willing to attend a paid training session.
- Available for current or future elections. If you have any additional questions, please call (304) 466-7104 and ask to speak with a staff member of the County Clerk's Office.
What do I have to do?
- Attend a paid ($50), one-hour training session.
- Report to work at 5:30 a.m. on Election Day and serve until duties are completed after the polls close at 7:30 p.m.
- Poll workers must pick up and return election supplies to the Court House.
- Set up the voting booths.
- Put up election signs.
- Verify voter eligibility.
- Process voters.
- Issues ballots to voters.
- Other miscellaneous duties.
- Dismantle voting booths and pack up all supplies after the polls close at 7:30 p.m.
Where will I work?
- Many buildings such as schools, libraries, churches, and township halls are used as polling locations.
- Every effort is made to place you at a convenient location whenever possible.
How do I sign up?
Contact the County Clerk at (304) 466-7104.